I have not tried these yet but I'm dying to give them a go! I love caramel apples and these little bites seem like just the thing to cure that craving.
- 1/3 cup finely chopped unpeeled apple
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- Green toothpicks
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a small saucepan, combine filling ingredients. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened; set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour and salt. Gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Shape dough into 1-in. balls. Flatten and place 1/4 teaspoon filling in center of each. Fold dough over filling and reshape into balls. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, cook caramels and evaporated milk until caramels are melted; stir until smooth. Insert a toothpick into each cookie and dip into caramel until completely coated; allow excess to drip off. Dip bottoms into nuts. Place on wire racks to set. Yield: about 3 dozen.