Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

White Bean Chicken Chili

I can't take credit for this recipe.  I got it from Mom.  Every time I make it for someone, they ask for the recipe.  It's a great, low fat stew for a cold January night (although I do make it anytime of year because I just love it so much).  The recipe is for the stove top, but I have made mine in the crock pot and let it cook for a few hours.  Just don't cook it too long or the beans will turn to mush.  I always cook my chicken in the crockpot either overnight or for 8 hours during the day.  I add 4 frozen chicken breasts, 2 cans of cream of chicken soup, and cover with water.  This makes the chicken easier to shred, and I prefer shredded to chopped chicken.


4 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded or chopped (save all broth)

2 tbsp olive oil

1 clove garlic, chopped or minced

1 tsp cumin

2 chicken bouillon cubes

2 cans navy beans

2 cans Northern Beans

2 cans white shoepeg corn

2-3 tbsp chopped jalapeno pepper

1/2 small red pepper, chopped



 

In frying pan, combine olive oil, garlic, cumin, and chopped red pepper.  Cook until  garlic and pepper are softened.

Dissolve 2 chicken bouillon cubes in 1 cup chicken broth.  Save.

In soup pot combine all beans (in their juice), corn, jalapeno, and contents of the frying pan.  Add the chicken.  Mix well and add the 1 cup broth with bouillon.  Mix well.  Add more broth to preferred thickness.  Salt and pepper according to taste.  Let simmer about 15 minutes or until warm.


Picture courtesy of

No comments:

Post a Comment